Old 07-27-08, 10:48 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Who was Postal/Discovery's sprinter, again?
Allan Davis, who barely missed on some big days. The big second I remember is Milan San Remo.

Columbia didn't have quite the GC hope (or confidence in their GC hope) like Garmin did. I have to think that Kim Kirchen used a lot of gas sprinting for stage finishes and going for the green jersey for a while. His guys were probably tired too, especially after they did a bunch of work setting up Cavendish, who I have a feeling will be remembered for his 4 wins. Once Cavendish went home and Kirchen blew up, the team could take it easy. Ciolek almost came through at the end but it didn't work out. Columbia definitely focused on immediate results, on stages, and their podium long shot fell short so it was okay.

Vaughters was convinced CVV would go well, said so when he signed CVV. I thought he was smoking crack personally but CVV pulled through, and as someone pointed out, he'd have been way up there had he not crashed on that one descent. They didn't have a sprinter - I mean, yeah, Julian Dean is good, but he doesn't lead out Thor Hushovd and accidentally beat him like Gert Steegmans did to Boonen. Vaughters was convinced of CVV's GC abilities and the wild card was David Millar and his TT and power-climbing. The second bit didn't work out but I think overall they should be very satisfied with their neo-Tour performance.

Personally I'm really happy for Danny Pate and his break and "coulda shoulda woulda" finish at the end of that long break. I've been a fan of his for a while:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ate-style.html
I think he's too nice and works too hard and doesn't win like he could but that's part of what appeals to me. He's a good guy racing a bike for a living.

cdr