View Single Post
Old 07-28-08, 05:11 AM
cadimaki

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Montello, '86 Peugeot Competition 400, '94 Cannondale R500, '94 Scott Superamerican (dropbar & STI), '08 Cannondale Hooligan, '08 Dahon Speed D7, '09 Dahon Speed TR, '11 Surly LHT, '15 Brompton M3L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came back from a 3 week tour in Georgian Republic. I had one padded short with me and 2 pairs of lycra underwear. So I was wearing the padded short only every third day or so. I also use a B17.
Before starting with the tour, many bikers around me said that I should definetely wear padded shorts all the time. But actually, I only had discomfort (and some irritation caused by sweat) while wearing those padded shorts.
By using regular lycra underwear (and the thin nylon pants I wear over it) , the B17 is wicking most of the sweat and keeping down parts cool. So when your Brooks is well broken in, I think padded shorts are not a necessity, and even can cause problems. To enjoy the advantage and comfort of leather saddles, I think one should put as less layers as possible between the body and the saddle.
And in case of irritation, using rosemary oil on the irritated area helped me a lot. It hurts on the first few minutes but within some hours, a protecting layer appears there over the scar.