Old 07-28-08, 09:28 AM
01amberfirewv

Bikes: GT Ricochet, Mongoose Villain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherpaPeak
not over 45 but cannot afford to brake another bone if I dont have to.

Being concerned about injury is a good thing. it gives you perspective. But there is no reason to be paranoid. I had the worst injury in my life walking the side walks of my small town (young driver coming out of the drive way without looking). after a shattered right knee and ankle injury I realized safety is a relative thing.

I am in the same stiuation. I am pushing 30 with a 2 year old daughter and another on the way. I love mountain biking and being out doors in general but an injury would make it difficult to work and enjoy my family. My advise would be as said above to just ride within your limits. Bumps and brusies are probubly going to happen but if you play it safe you should be able to avoid major injury. Having said that i would rather bust up a knee or elbow than earn a clogged up heart (technical term ) by sitting on the couch.

As for stretching I could find quite a few articals for and against it by googleing it but I would say its best to play it safe. Warm up prior to exercise by starting out slow, cool down afterwards then stretch. Flexable muscles are stronger and less likely to tear. The same thing goes for your joints.

HTH