Old 11-06-04, 04:51 PM
Juniper
Digs technical steeps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird Wipe-Out of the Day

Great ride this afternoon but about two minutes into it I had this super weird wipe-out. I entered this trough that was maybe 9' deep on each side and 6' across the bottom. Pointed my bike straight down the 45 degree slope for max momentum because the other side was almost straight up the top half of it. Well, I didn't have enough momentum because I stalled out about 3/4 of the way to the top of the other side with my bike pointing almost straight up. Then I did something reeeeeeeeallly dumb (maybe) - I put on the brakes to keep from rolling backwards (Well, what else could I have done? I've been thinking about that all afternoon. Any ideas?)

So, my bike goes straight up and over backwards with me on it thinking I'm soon dead. I tried to bail but since that wall of the trough was almost straight up and down there is nothing but air under me. Blam! - I land flat on my back full force. The amazing thing is I have a completely full 70oz CamelBack on and I land exactly on top of it like a cushion! I was still pretty stunned from the sheer force of the blow but my entire body landed on the Camelback and a little bit on the back of helmet (my wrist was tweaked a bit but nothing major).

I wish I would have had that on film.