Old 11-07-04, 11:56 AM
Dazza
XtC Addict

Bikes: Giant XtC SE3 Bianchi Gold Race 600 Triple Barracuda Overload

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Idea for new MTB product. (Electronics project)

For my A-level (year before university for you americans ) Technology & Design project i am making an electronic device, which would potentially be used for Downhill mountain bike riders (or rally drivers for that matter) More likely to be of use to professionals, or extreme enthusiasts (the kind of bums who time their runs, you know who you are )

Specifically, its a device, like a pace note system, that will alert the user to upcoming major events (corners, jumps/drops, wet patches, rocks etc) It will be pre programmed, specific to whatever course needed, and will use a series of LED's each one corresponding to the event. It will be handlebar mounted, and will use a push to make switch to move the program through its sequence. (Pass a corner, hit the button and it will tell you whats next).

It will use a generic PIC (peripheral interface controller) circuit, and the program will be set on a pc (PIC logicator) and a 9v battery to power it.

Let me know of what you think about this idea, and any subsystems i could possibly implement into it to improve its usability. I know it isn't going to be 100% accurate, but hopefully give me enough marks to put me through uni!