Old 07-30-08, 08:13 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairmont

1. Is there a particular brand/style I should seek?
Depends. Are you comfortable with tight fitting clothes or not? If so, then your standard bib shorts are my choice. Velowear.com has a good reasonably priced selection. If not, you could pick up a pair of mountain bike shorts or padded underwear from your local bike store.

2. I want padding. What should I look for?
The chamois (the pad) generally does not pad that much. It is more for anti chafing. Just pick up a pair and try them out. Everyone's rear is different so it may take a little while to find one you like.

3. What fabric would be best for my situation? (I ride four miles to work, with a couple hills---hybrid bike--Trek Soho, like the Trek FX).
Lycra.

4. Do I need to wash the shorts everyday? Once a week?
Everyday unless you want saddle sores. You can shower with them on to get around this.

5. Visibility is not a concern (all bike paths to work), so no goofy colors. I want simple blacks, browns, tan, white, etc. No orange, pink, yellow or all that other Tour de France stuff.
Visibility is always a concern. However, most cyclists wear black shorts for reasons that it shows dirt less and does not become see through as easily. Mountain bike shorts can come in brown, black, and other shades of tan.

That being said, at 4 miles I would consider not purchasing cycling shorts. They tend to be expensive and that distance is rather short. Instead I would wear gym shorts and an athletic t shirt. All made out of a wicking material such as polyester.