Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xafofo
That's not true if you have something like this --

http://www.rei.com/product/721699?cm...20with%20Cable

It doesn't take 2 tools to defeat the U-lock and the cable... if you defeat the U-lock, the cable will slip right off. If you really wanted a 2 tool defense then you would need 2 separate locks, not a combo lock like the one above.

Anyways, I think a combo U+cable lock should be fine. Having 2 U locks is just too much hassle.. added weight, having to carry 2 keys, more expensive, etc
I, like many people, carry a quality u-lock and a cable lock. Unlike your statement above, my cable lock from Trek has a built in combo lock and is relatively secure. I only have to carry one key for the U-lock and IMHO I don't think many people would bother with a cable and u-lock setup without a separate lock for the cable. The weight gain isn't high for the extra lock and you get the added security.

I run my U-lock through my back tire sheldon style and my cable lock is long enough to fit around my front tire, frame and bike rack. This means the easiest way of stealing my bike is to cut the rack. So far it has been very reliable and teh no cuts on my cable and u-lock are evidence enough for me to believe that it is an effective deterant to thieves.