Thread: The other side
View Single Post
Old 05-10-02, 01:26 PM
Oxymoron
Poky

Bikes: 1999/2000 Rans Rocket - red, of course, and a forest green 2001 Specialized Expedition w/ 2" slicks, fenders and Jaand baskets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Amir R. Pakdel

If you are the kind of person that doesn't buy laundry detergent because they cause problems down the drain and instead makes his own from baking soda, then I think you would have the right to critisize others.
OK I'll take you up on your offer--I don't make my own laundry detergent, but I do buy a non-harmful kind from the local food co-op and it doesn't cost me any more. But nobody's perfect. I had an extremely environmental philosophy teacher once who laughed at all the "hypocrits" he met--people who said they cared about the enviro., but when you went to thier house they lived like everyone else (packaged foods, big cars, no storm windows, etc.) I realized then that I wanted to improve, but that there can be no absolutes. We can only minimize our impact on the world. I'm not going to quit buying potato chips (yum yum) because they're in a non-recyclable bag--though I do feel a little guilty sometimes, but I can do little things like drive less, or have a vehicle that is just big enough for my NEEDS. No one thing is purely at fault, or purely evil, but we do need to be aware of what is plain wasteful and eliminate or reduce its use.

Clay