Old 08-02-08, 02:52 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MD in bf-land is in the Northeast; VA and NC are SE. DC and Northern VA is both (go figure). BF doesn't know of "Mid Atlantic" I guess. November weather can be nice or iffy around here (DC area has had nice fall to blizzards in the time I've lived here), although it won't be close to full winter yet. I would check the Richmond area bike clubs for info and suggestions. There is a bike route under development between Richmond and the Williamsburg/Yorktown area. Mapmyride.com probably has routes you can search for.

From the DC area, the C&O Canal towpath offers up to 184 miles of riding to Cumberland MD, and you can continue north almost to Pittsburgh on the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) trail. Route is packed dirt or gravel double-track, so you'll want something more than a road bike. Lots of information on the C&O and GAP yahoo groups. The Park Service starts shutting off the water pumps at the C&O hiker/biker campsites in November, so that could be a bit late in the season. October would be better in my opinion.

There are also numerous paved trails in the DC area. They are used year round, so the only problem would be an early season snowstorm. Which hasn't happened in recent years. check bikewashington.org and bikepptc.org for ideas.

If you like hills, Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Hwy down into NC are lovely, but November may be too late I think - winter comes sooner in the mountains.

Maryland Eastern Shore roads can be quite nice (Kent County MD, for example). Your risk is encountering early winter storms. The Baltimore and Annapolis bike clubs can probably comment on weather conditions.

I would re-post in the SE forum.