Old 08-03-08, 10:18 PM
Linus_S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
items thrown at me

About a year ago (2007-08-05) , I finished a 75 km ride and I was rolling into the area close to my neighborhood. I had eggs tossed at me and one hit my helmet. I turned on my bright light and sped up. I got a partial tag and vehicle description. I rode home and called the police. They took the description and stopped by my house. They asked me if I wanted to press charges. I said yes. The office said they had the people pulled over. Apparently the people who egged me were egging houses along the way.

The were caught driving recklessly and were charged with assault for hitting me. They also were charged with numerous counts of vandalism.

I was sent a letter from the county about my statement and how they should be punished (the criminals were under 18). I wrote in my impact statement that I was not interested in any restitution, but I would be interested in seeing that they had a chance to investigate and research bicycle and vehicle safety. I also stated that I felt those responsible should have their driving privileges suspended.

I could have played the injured card, but instead I asked that they learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately I think their parents were forced to take the financial hit for all of the fines.