Old 08-04-08, 11:29 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammertoe
... I marked him and slowly gained ground. He was standing quite a bit. I tend to stay in the saddle except for short periods to stretch the muscles. I tried to be smart about my efforts, increasing power when I thought he would be easing up. On ‘flatter’ sections I would pick up the power a notch. I rode the switch backs in the middle then cut the corner, which seems to slightly increase your speed. It was a slow catch, but I got him. He noticed I was in the same wave (rider number) and we rode side by side for a bit. He then took my wheel. I kept a steady pace but he matched me. I increased the pace on a steeper section and got about 20 feet, but when I eased, he took my wheel again. As soon as he did, I stood and pushed again. He fell back again. I did not want to look behind me because of the disappointment I would have felt if he was still there. On the next switchback, I looked. I only had about 50 feet. I let out an explicative...

I then buried myself in the pain cave. I tried to increase my power but the engine room was not answering the call. At mile 5 there was an ambulance on the side of the road, I asked for oxygen. They said they were out...

As the finish banner approached, I put in a kick for a minute. My kids were screaming; GO, DADDY, GO!!! Which helped quite a bit, I mean, I can't disappoint the kids. Oxygen debt ensued...I barely stayed upright as I crossed the finish. I did it, finished first in my wave by 7.5 seconds...
Good job, sounds fun. I've found in situations like that you are better off not trying to ride the person off your wheel to early, unless you can see that they are clearly hurting and you are not. Just as you knew to take it easy and let people ride away because you could reel them back, you risk being on the other end of that if you go too hard trying to pop them and blow yourself up.