View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 10:07 PM
Kid-Cycle
Folsom Prison Blues

Bikes: '04 Trek 5200, '73 Raleigh Grand Sport "Fixie" & '94 Specialized Rock Hopper Comp MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broke my seat post on Saturday...

... I was just about to crest the hill at my half way point of my 20 mi ride, sitting back on my saddle and powering up the last portion of the hill and all of a sudden my saddle rotated backward. I stood up on the pedals and looked back and saw my saddle hanging by the stem strap of my wedge pack. The post broke just below the saddle bracket insert and it left a 4 ish inch spike with sharp edges protruding in place of my saddle! Luckily I didn't drop onto the post or I could have been in some serious trouble.

I walked my ride to the top of the hill and went to pull my cellphone out of my jersey pocket and it wasn't there!!! I always take my phone on rides. Anyway, I was able to use a fellow cyclists phone and the wife and kids came to my rescue. When I got home I found my phone inside the plastic baggie (I put my phone in a snack baggie to keep it sweat free while riding) inside the drawer where I keep the baggie!

Before calling my wife, I removed the broken stem and inserted the remaining inches of stem attached to my saddle into the seat tube and tried to ride it... way to short - felt like I was riding one of my kids bikes!!! That afternoon I went to LBS and bought a new seat post and all is well in my cycling world.

The seat post was the stock Bontrager that came with my Trek 5200 and it had a little over 8k miles on it. I repalced it with an aluminum Easton post.