Old 08-06-08, 06:09 AM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redneck Repellent?

I live in a very rural area of Pennsylvania, just below the Pocono Mountains, where shotguns, Ford Trucks Harleys and country music rule the roost. Rednecks in trucks are a constant problem for me when i'm on the road bike, throwing stuff, heckling and trying to run cyclists off the road. This is so much so that there are times I gladly put the road bike in the car (hate doing this, I just want to ride out my front door) and go about 15 miles away to the Lehigh Valley Velodrome/Preferred Cycling Center and surrounding areas to ride, just because cyclists are generally not bothered by motorists around there.
The obvious solution to this problem would be to move, but my wife and I live on her family farm and run a plant nursery, so that's not going to happen. A good friend suggested I get an American flag jersey to wear when I ride around here, as no redneck will mess with the flag. I prefer my shop jerseys and solid colrs, but if this will work, I'm all for it. Any other ideas/suggestions? I really only want to ride the mountain bike around here, it's that much of a PITA. Thanks.