Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GingerPrince
An answer of "it doesn't do anything - statistics show they don't help" doesn't do it for me, because so far all the statistics quoted have told me is that you may be very unlikely to need a helmet and you may get injured more easily walking the dog. They haven't actually told me any of the reasons for NOT wearing a helmet.
And that was the basis of the tobacco industry's claim that smoking did not cause cancer. The only thing those against smoking had were statistics--and they were no reason for NOT smoking cigarettes. Funny how people so unconsciously reverse things. Everyone is entirely willing to believe the statistics when it comes to cigarette smoking. (And they will tend to disregard as mere luck anecdotes like, "Uncle Joe smoked three packs a day his entire life and lived to be ninety.") And that provides an excellent example of Kahneman's prospect theory. Essentially the same information presented; entirely opposing decisions made.

But again, wear or don't wear a helmet in accordance with your preferences. Leave others to their preferences. I will not consider you stupid if you do wear a helmet. Please do not consider me stupid if I do not. Now, let's all go out for a pleasant bike ride, shall we?