jfruser
Clydesdale On Wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke-Induced Tube Puncture

Howdy:

Had a surprise after work the other day, as my rear tube was not just a little flat, but so flat the tire had become unset from the rim.

----------------

Circumstances:
285lb rider
40lb gear
Specialized Hard Rock set up for commuting
Specialized Nimbus street slicks with 75/85 psi front/rear (80psi max on tire)* at 0500 and 77degF

--------------

I dis-assembled wheel/tire/tube & found a puncture on the inside of the tube that matched a place where it appears the black rubber rim tape failed over one of the spokes (and was ready to fail elsewhere). Replaced tube & did a jury-rig rim tape patch with some package tape. It was good for 11+ miles back to my garage. I won't trust it again, however, until I resolve the issue.

It was fine in the AM on the way to work. I suspect that the tube pressure increased over the day, as it sat in the sun at the rack and our high temps have been around 105degF lately.

This is a new puncture for me. Ought the generic cloth-like rim tape at my LBS do the trick or do I need something more aggressive/specific?

I have thought about going with one of the "puncture resistant" tubes (which just look like thicker / heavier tubes). I am not one to squawk at a little weight, but they are about 4x the mass of the standard tube.

* Still not enough pressure for the weight it must carry, as it squashes down more than I'd like when under load with me & my gear. Any suggestions on a high-pressure / high-weight-capacity 26" MTB street slick?