darksiderising

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhmitszach
Well, looking up stuff to order.

Chain breaker tool. Crank remover tool (want to strip the bike).

Nashbar fixed hub - $40 Or Dimension
Dura Ace 14 T 3/32 Cog (gear ration will be 40/14)- $20
Nipples- $4

Still need spokes, but don't I need a certain size? I need help on this. Also, I see I can order dimension (nashbar) hub at either 100 mm or 120 mm?

What other tools will I need too? Spoke wrench?
You might want to think about a prebuilt wheel. You're going to have to spend about $1 per spoke. That's already going to put you close to the $90 prebuilt wheel that you're lbs quoted you. You also need more than directions to build a wheel. You're going to need a truing stand and spoke wrenches. How true is the current rear rim? If the old rim is not true and round when you unlace it, you're going to have a weak wheel once you build it back up again.

You might want to go with a 15 tooth cog to go with the 40 tooth chainring. 42x16 is a typical gearing and 40x14 is going to be a relatively steep gear, especially if this is your first ss/fg.

Spokes and nipples come in a few varieties of sizes, so if you do go the wheelbuilding route, make sure that you can find matching spokes and nipples for the right length that you need. Your best bet is to go to your LBS for the spokes and nipples, but don't be surprised if they don't seem that motivated to help you since you are not buying hubs/rims from them. And DO NOT go into your LBS to get information just so you can buy online. Only scum does this.