Old 08-11-08, 09:08 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Vision impaired tandeming & some other Qs

Hi,

Firstly some background info, I'm a long time avid cyclist with many years experience of commuting, road racing, Mtbing and some touring as well, but not a lot of tandem riding, however I still having very good fitness and handling skills at age 48. Most of my bikes are fairly high level quality, my tandem is maybe a bit lower but I've upgraded rims, tyres, gearing etc. I'm not ready to buy a top-of-the-line tandem...yet.

I've just volunteered to help at a vision impaired, (V.I.), facility with their recreactional activities, namely: Tandem bike riding, for which I have to sit a course for working with V.I. people and also pass a security check. They have a tandem of their own, but I'd feel happier using mine, so......

Q1: Can anyone experienced with tandem riding with the V.I. please offer some sage advise, experiences, warnings etc?
Q2: My tandem has cantilever brakes linked to normal road bike levers, do I need to install a set of travel agents for better braking capacity and if so, what type?? I am hoping to mount a rear drum brake soon as well, your thoughts?

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated.

Steve.

Last edited by stevegor; 08-11-08 at 09:10 PM. Reason: correction