Old 08-11-08, 10:02 PM
xerotope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Autoshifting == Replace brifter?

Hey all,

So I was having some autoshifting issues in some gear combinations on my 2005 Trek 1500 (Shimano 105 componentry). Mostly 4th or 5th gear on the cassette. The chain isn't stretched, and the cassette teeth looked fine to my eye. I had adjusted the derailer so it was up and down shifting fairly smoothly, but wasn't able to reproduce the problem on the stand.

In preparation for an upcoming ride, I brought it into a shop for a professional tune-up. Well, they said I need a new brifter to the tune of $150. This was a bit of a shock, since it generally shifts fine, except for the occasional autoshift. Unfortunately, this is my California bike, so it's my girlfriend who dealt with the shop, and she wasn't able to get much more out of them other than "it's messed up".

I've read Sheldon Brown's page on the matter, and he does not list "broken shifter" as a possible cause. (I am planning to try greasing the cable-run on the bottom bracket and lubing the housings).

Is there a clear way to tell if the shifter is actually broken? And could that be the cause of my autoshifting problems? If I'm going to lay down $150 on a new shifter, I might as well pick up the Ultegra set that shows up on chainlove occasionally.