View Single Post
Old 08-11-08, 10:16 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Scott
1. Hold your line. Do not wander into someone else's "ride space." To quote the movie Dirty Dancing, "This is my dance space. This is your dance space. You don't come into mine, and I don't come into yours." Do not ride all over the
road. If you are going to change position, look around before "darting" to your new position. Be predictable! Don't be a squirrel.
+ a million!! Possibly the #1 cause of accidents between cyclists.

4. When in a paceline, always pull off to the left. If you pull off to the right, you can hurt yourself by running into a curb, grass, gravel, and bus stop signs.
Ummm..well...check w/the group. The general rule is to always pull off into the wind to give extra shielding to the other riders. But, yes, this necessitates riding out in the road somewhat. Check with the group. If you don't know, pull off to the same side as the person in front of you did.

5. Do not take both hands off of the bars when riding in the pack. Drift to the back to take your jacket off, eat, whatever. If you run over something and lose control of your bike, you will probably go down.
Generally a good idea. Some advanced riders can do this no problem.

6. Please point out pot holes and other road debris, but do NOT swerve around it. See #1-HOLD YOUR LINE.
If you are on the front of the group, it is your responsibility to lead the group around them smoothly enough so that those following behind do not hit them!

9. Know the route before hand. Most groups rides have a map or que sheet to follow if you get dropped. You need to know how to get back.
+1

Good suggestions for new riders. There should be a class requirement