Old 08-12-08, 10:20 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
For the upcoming school year, I'm going to commuting on a nicer bike then I did last year. Last 2 years I rode with some crap MTB and just let the chain dry out, so I never had to worry about chain grease. Besides the thing being loud as hell, never broke the chain, but since nearly everything is broken on the bike, I'll be riding my 29er SS to class, which I actually care about, so I'll be doing the various maintence to it, including keeping the chain lube. Since this is my school bike, I just commute in my street cloths, so I was wondering if there are any chain guards out there. I remember when I was a kid, bmx's used to come with a Silcone or similar flexible plastic chain guards. I was wondering if they still make them, or better yet, have a full chain case to cover the entire crank area.
I found that even though I used a leg strap, my pants would get oily any way... I decided to make a gaiter out of a pair of old sweatpants. The sweatpants were the kind that have the elastic at the bottom.

I cut the leg at the height that I wanted and I put that on over my pant leg and strap the top so that only the gaiter will get dirty... some do think I look a bit goofy with it on but I like it...