Old 08-12-08, 10:43 AM
chris_aug18
<3's Woolverton

Bikes: Old Rebuilt Jamis Aurora, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, 06 Marin Palisades Trail w/ slicks, Cheapo folding bike, homemade tandem, Muni, and some old beaters.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring around Lake Ontario - my first tour

Back at the beginning of the summer I decided with some friends it would be fun to try and bike around lake Ontario. Well, most, if not all of them backed out and my training has been off and on all summer(too much partying). My departure date is the last weekend in august and I have about 8 or 9 days to do this but, I want to aim for finishing in 6 or possibly 5 if my knees are feeling up to it.

I am still going to go for it but, I think I may end up doing this solo which is somewhat frightening considering my longest tour(if you can call it that) has been one night. Anyone interested in joining? I am planning an overnight trip this weekend and the weekend after to test out some of my gear and get some more km's on the bike.

My original plan was to go around counter-clockwise because I am from Grimsby, Ontario and figured I might as well get the unfamiliar territory(New York State) out of the way while I'm still fresh. But, I have heard the winds tend to favor a clock-wise trip...can anyone confirm this?

I've read lots of journals and articles about touring and the routes around lake Ontario so, I think I've got a pretty good handle on that. I just wanted to post this so I have something to guilt me if I start having second thoughts about going. Although, any tips or advice is more than welcome.

Thanks for reading and if anyones interested I'll keep this updated before, possibly during, and after.