Bruzer
Bicyclist

Bikes: The two wheeled variety.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to do with old bike locks?

I have some old bike locks from around the time of my first bike (the early 1990's). I have seen the videos and read about how easy locks are to compromise. I am not confident on the security these locks provide. One of them is an early U-lock with a round key that looks like it can be picked with a bic pen. Two others are coiled cable locks with flat keys that were fairly cheap when I bought them, so they must be easy to get into.

Are these locks good for anything besides collecting dust? I don't trust my bikes with these locks, and am plan to buy newer locks for my bikes. Even new locks are not 100% safe, but hopefully harder to break in than these old locks.

I have read a few posts here from people who have had their bikes stolen. I have not had one of my bikes taken. I have read articles and posts about techniques to keep bikes safer, but I guess we can never be 100% safe. Any good tips out there from those who lost their bikes?

What do I do with my old locks? Are there any other uses for these bike locks? I donate to Goodwill on occasion, but don't want to give them some old locks that offer little to no security. The unsuspecting buyer might think the locks are reliable and lock up their only bike with them. I can't think of anything else they would be good for, and thought you forum readers might have some ideas.