Old 08-15-08, 05:28 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So does anybody really care?

So if I get up early every day for 16 years and go running or something eventually I'll feel better?

Honestly, I'm thinking that, if folks don't find a shorter term benefit, a 16 year exercise program is going to fall by the wayside.
I think you misunderstood the study. It doesn't take 16 years to see a benefit, the physical benefits start quickly. But if they stick with it over the years the exercisers will feel 16 (20?) years younger and will (on average) start to see life restricting disabilities much later in life! That is huge.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

My point is that, if people don't perceive a short term benefit (fun), they'll never stick with any kind of exercise program long enough to get fit.
I disagree to a point. Many people do stick with boring, un-fun exercise programs for decades - I see them at the gym every day. Many others go for it long enough to improve their fitness and then burn out. I know lots of them. I think where you are right is that many of us simply won't stick to it unless it is fun, period. Feeling fit will help motivate us but if the exercise regiment is not fun we just don't stick to it. I was that way on aerobics until I started riding -- which is fun. I noticed the physical benefits immediately - I feel much better and I lost 16 pounds and counting - but I would be hard pressed to keep it up if I didn't enjoy riding.