View Single Post
Old 08-15-08, 09:48 AM
malpag3
takin' it to the streets

Bikes: 1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For rain gear on your bike, full fenders are the way to go.

As far as body covering, I use an Arc Teryx Beta AR Gore Tex shell. It's essentially a mountaineering shell that I have for a lot of activities, but it's hood is big enough to go over a bike helmet, and it's rear is a little longer than normal jackets.

Generally speaking, your rain gear for cycling doesn't need to be too over the top technical because as long as you're moving, the water is going to glide off you. When you stop is when the water gets time to settle in and soak you.

Breath-ability is key because you can end up soaking yourself with your own sweat if your garment can't transfer the moisture out.

I use the Novara Express pants as well. They're better than traditional rain pants in that they have a reinforced fabric near where the cranks are. I have shredded normal rain pants due to my chainwheel teeth before.

If i'm riding in the rain, I usually ride my foul weather bike which doesn't have clipless pedals, so I just wear water proof shoes. When I rode my road bike, I would just wear PI Cyclone Toe Covers and that would be fine for the most part.