Thread: Mobiky review?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-08, 05:47 PM
FlickaSailor

Bikes: Diamondback Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine 2 days now and really like it. I pootled around for about 3 miles in the park yesterday and then commuted to work today. My commute is about 7.5 miles one way so 15 miles round trip.

I am 5' 7" and weigh 185 pounds. I moved my Topeak DynaPack DX from my mountain bike, 1980s era Diamandback Ascent rigid - none of that complicated suspension stuff for me :-) to the top of the middle tube of my Mobiky which seems to work fine. The DynaPack uses a quick release mechanism just leaving a small mount on the post. I think I could use a carabiner to clip the bag to the front hook when the bike is folded but I need to go find a carabiner to do that.

The DynaPack DX is rated for about 10lbs of load and itself only weighs 890g or 1.96lbs so I'm still in the weight range for the Mobiky with a fully loaded DynaPack.

These pictures were taken with my iPhone so they aren't the greatest or very high resolution but they seemed to have turned out pretty good compared to a lot of other phone cameras...

This is not stable, it wants to pop wheelies as you roll it along walking next to it. But this is where I think you could clip the bag from it's insertion point onto the front handlebar hook and let it hang down along the plane of the handlebar stem...

On my mountain bike with combo tires - smooth in the middle with knobbies on the side I was averaging 32 minutes to get to work.

On the first commute today! on the Mobiky the ride there toke me just over 37 minutes and the ride back took 35. To work I stopped twice - once to tweak the seat post because I realized I had it too low and another time to readjust the handlebar height slightly. No stops on the way back other than traffic lights, etc.

I think once I get used to the three speed hub my time will drop slightly as I was either shifting too soon or too late and ended up doing a lot more thigh muscling instead of a decent cadence at the right gear.

I'd buy it again - the seat post play mentioned by another wasn't noticeable after the first hmmmm... Seems like the folks with the suspension stuff would feel somewhat similar flex so I don't really get the criticism.

The handlebar-end mirror is a Zefal Spin - a really great little mirror although I did have to disassemble it and tighten up the screws on all of the joints. As shipped they were all too loose.

All the other comments about the sticky saddle are dead right. It uses sort of a velour coating and you stick to it like crazy. I changed it on day 2 before my commute.

Besides the Topeak bag I also have their Hilite Combo on the handlebar and bag.

-Eric

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickasailor/

Last edited by FlickaSailor; 08-21-08 at 12:59 PM.