LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike lanes

I am not against the concept.

But in reality, bike lanes are constructed for people who will never use them. Anyone who prefers a bike lane is probably afraid of riding that close to motorists anyway.

So I'm wrong?

When I encounter bike lanes with every intention of using them, this is what I discover (every time)--

1) The "lane" is so full of crap that you have to weave constantly to avoid it. According to safe cycling techniques, weaving is dangerous. You should always try to keep a straight course.

2) The "lane" often includes drains, permanent bumps and potholes that scream, "send me to the hospital!"

3) Glass shards have found a new home: the "bike lane."

4) I love playing in the sand. But riding my 28mm tired bike in the sand deposited in "bike lanes" is no fun. Unless you consider testing your new helmet on a crash a joy.

5) Before the "bike lane" was painted (with those cute icons depicting a stick-man riding a bike,) I could actually ride a clear path in that street. Now, since cars stay out of the "bike lane," all of the above crap accumulates and NOBODY ever sweeps any of it away. So, now I have a skinnier "good lane" (the "car lane") to ride in.

5-1/2) Let's make the cars ride in the potholes, drains and crap. Gimme the "car lane" instead of them.

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 05-14-02 at 09:46 PM.