Old 08-18-08, 11:15 AM
cyberpep
Forever CLYDE !

Bikes: 2003 Giant Cypress R , 2007 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi chris aug18, I have riden both directions around the lake in recent years. I think that the wind is about the same either direction although I do think that the hills have a more gradual slope to them when you go west to east in NY state. I takes me about 9 days to do the trip as this seems to make the campsites work out. The day I cross the ferry at Wolfe Island I don't go as far because I always seem to end up just missing the ferry and have to wait for the next one.
You could consider riding the Erie Canal Towpath part of the way to vary your ride otherwise following the Seaway Trail will give you a great route.I found the roads great except for around Oswego, they can be quite busy and are not in the best condition for a loaded touring bike. Toronto is by far the worst part of the ride. I'll leave it up to you to find the best route across the GTA and good luck. It may be cheating but when I have cross Toronto now I do it on the GO train.
Hope you enjoy this trip as much as I have and going solo will be no problem. I prefer solo tours myself and there is a good chance that you will meet up with someone else doing that route.
Happy touring!