Old 08-18-08, 08:07 PM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In a controlled study all laboratory rats who rode drop bars died of cancer.

Can you say "runaway thread hijack"?

Just as a reminder:

Originally Posted by Sirnickdon
Every few days, it seems, I see a post on this forum, or on Living Car-Free, where somebody is very excited about the prospect of saving a few bucks by commuting, and optimistically asks everyone how much they've saved. Within the first few posts, it seems, somebody always scoffs at this naivete, and lists the $500 in parts, clothing and repairs they've spent in the last couple of weeks.

Maybe I just lack imagination, or have a tendency to round my numbers down, but I can't figure that I've spent more than $100 in the last six months.

Here is my commuter bike. A 1990s, cro-moly steel road bike, purchased second-hand for $20. The panniers are Nashbar townie baskets, purchased for $10 each from Nashbar, while the rear rack is a Bor Yeuh urban model, $15.

The Novara wasn't totally equipped for a rear-rack, so I had to get creative with a pair of "p-clamps," $0.99 each.

The pedals there are Chrome Bros egg-beaters, $40, and the front and rear lights are Trek, $10 each.

When I figure that up, I come to $97.99, so if you add to that spare tubes, Park tools, chain lube, etc., and more food than usual (thought I've always seen eating as its own reward), I figure I've spent about four weeks' worth of gas on transportation the last six months.

What am I doing wrong?
You rock bro.

Last edited by Cody Broken; 08-18-08 at 08:39 PM.