BlankTim

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh Super Record, 2012 A. Homer Hilsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w00t! Goal 1 accomplished!

Arrrrgghh!
I accomplished Goal #1 today. I rode from the house up to the gas station and back again. In traffic. During rush hour. At a decent pace too.
It's probably only a couple of miles total, which is a good bit less than I've been riding; 5 miles riding around the neighborhood is way easier than 2 miles in traffic, but I'll never know anything about my ride today other than it was tough, because my #@$#$^%$#%&^%&^%$# Forerunner50 lost all the info when it uploaded to the worthless GarminConnect website.

I just don't understand why they, as a company that is obviously trying to cater to the fitness crowd, are okay with this piece of garbage and why people aren't complaining about it.
I used the Nike+ site while I was walking, and it just simply worked. It was a bit over the top in design I admit but it was super reliable (the site was, not so much on the sensor, though it was good once calibrated properly).
Of course, the Nike+ stuff doesn't work with bikes. Surprising really, considering how much they promote the Livestrong outfit, and even Lance himself.

Anyway, is anyone out here using something other than GarminConnect with a Forerunner50 to keep track of their rides? I'd love to have one of the Edge units, but I can buy a new bike for those prices, and I don't need the mapping capability yet anyway, just all the other info like time, distance, calories, etc.

So, yea, anyway, today was my first "in the real street with all the traffic at rush hour and everyone laughing at my pasty white chicken legs while I wobble around in the bike lane trying to stay upright and I'm 2 seconds away from having a stroke and the two cute college girls in the jeep had to point and say 'hey, look at the fat old guy trying to get fit' " ride!

It was fun! Lots of debris in the street made it a challenge. I couldn't wholly avoid the metal shipping strap that was stretched across the lane, I thought for sure I was on my way to dump-town with two dead tires after I hit that, but no, my mental soundtrack was crankin out Limp Biskit's Rollin', (I wish I could ride with real music but that would be stupid in traffic), and I made it to the gas station without blacking out. It was a close thing though, I had a serious case of tunnel vision starting up, so I probably would have crashed out shortly anyway.

So, no more riding around the block for me. It's time for me to get out and play in traffic with the rest of the big kids.
Goal #2: Ride to the McDonalds and back. Should be about 5mi round trip.