Old 11-15-04, 08:33 AM
CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on, admit it. Don't you secretly love pounding some young squirt into the ground. I know I do.

My favorite story regarding old vs young was about 10 years ago. A young fella came into my shop and asked about mountain bike rides. I told him we went out on Sundays and he was welcome to join us. I could feel this guy checking me out. He said, "Well, up to college we really hammered." I told him it didn't matter how fast or slow someone was, all were welcome. Anyway, fast forward to the next Sunday. While everyone is going through their pre-ride rituals, I told Tom that we might have to keep an eye on that guy. He was young and full of piss and vinegar. We drew straws to see who was going to have the sucky job of chasing him down. I lost. Well, we started our ride and the first mile or so is a slight but steady upstroke. By the top, the kid was nowhere to be seen. He had fallen off the back. Tom and I looked at each other and we grinned. Today was going to be fun. The kid shows up and in between gasps, he mumbles something about chainsuck. We said no problem, let him catch his breath and then started the rest of the climb. By mile 15 in the normal 24/25 mile ride, the kid was asking to bail. I rode him down to pavement and directed him towards the lot where we had parked. Only about 5 miles. Well, we finished our ride and as we rode that same road back an hour later, there he was propped up against a sign post, 2 miles from the cars, and lookin mighty pitiful. His only comment was, " Do you guys ride like this all the time?" We just grinned and went to get my pick up truck to haul him home.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone