View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 12:25 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rraabfaber
Says author Douglas Haddrow, "This obsession with “street-cred” reaches its apex of absurdity as hipsters have recently and wholeheartedly adopted the fixed-gear bike as the only acceptable form of transportation – only to have brakes installed on a piece of machinery that is defined by its lack thereof."
Mr. Haddrow displays an abysmal ignorance of fixed gears. A fixie is not defined by its lack of brakes; it is defined by its lack of gears and freewheel. I use both brakes on my Benotto track bike adapted for road.

A fixed gear bike is merely the ultimate in retro and elegance. At one time, all bikes had fixed gears, and the track bike represents the ultimate in simplicity and function. There are no wasteful parts; everything on the bike is essential and is in use when the bike is moving. You cannot remove anything and expect the bike to perform. On a standard road bike, you can remove nine cogs, a chainring, both derailleurs and you can still ride.

I'm surprised Mr. Haddrow should write such a thing in Adbusters. The fixed gear bike is anathema to the notion of bicycle consumerism. In the space of about 30 years, various corporations, mostly Japanese, have cleverly created a huge market for bicycle components, gradually bringing us from five cogs to six, to six in the space of five, then seven in the space of six, then click-shifting, then eight with shifters in the brake levers, then nine, then ten cogs. Every year, new things to buy, usually requiring the additional purchase of the rest of the "system." After a while, you get used to buying new components every year.

Back when I first started cycling, you just bought a bike with all Campag components, and you didn't need to upgrade it for a few years. Now it's new upgrades, or new bikes each year.

The alternative is the fixed gear bike. Eleven speed cassettes? Who cares, I'm not buying one. Yes, I believe in continuous improvement, so as good deals come available, I'll upgrade the bike. But I'm not buying into the Shimano-Campag-SRAM arms race. My steel-frame fixed gear Benotto has all-carbon forks and a carbon seatpost. Eventually it will have a 31.8 stem and then carbon bars. And maybe lighter wheels.

Anyway, here are some other advantages of a fixed gear bike:
- lighter (not carrying derailleus and exta chain and cogs)
- less stuff to get wrecked riding in rain and snow
- makes you a smoother rider
- gives you an excuse when you get dropped
- makes you stronger going up hills
- makes you more relaxed going down hills
- cheaper to operate - 1/8" chains are very cheap and readily available
- two fewer cables
- don't need to straighten the derailleur hanger after retrieving the bike from the airline
- can feel when the rear wheel is locked up riding on ice
- shows you are a real hard-core cyclist (much better than having a fancy expensive bike)
- also shows you are a real old-timer
The last two points reveal some visceral emotions. I think most people buy really expensive bikes to try to prove "something" to others. The problem is, it doesn't work. Most people regard guys with new, fancy, expensive bikes as posers, unless they happen to be well-known Cat 2 or higher racers, in which case it is quite aceptable (they probably got the bike free from the sponsor anyway). What's curious is that what does impress other cyclists is riding a fixed gear bike. Novices and posers do not ride fixed gear bikes (well, until recently anyway). It really is cool to ride a fixed gear, because it's kind of an elitist thing. It's not for everybody, only those with the skill and confidence to do so.

- L.