View Single Post
Old 08-23-08, 07:39 PM
Tommyr
Older "newbie"

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Here is a little insight into why I ride the way I ride (and if you don't know how I ride, click my sigpic and look at a vid or two):

#1 - I was in a movie theater once watching a James Bond film - can't remember which one, but it was Pierce Bronson (sp?). He and some tart were racing on some curvy mountain roads in their 4-wheeled sporty self esteem boxes. At some point they encountered a pack of roadies (maybe 30 count) cycling on the same mountain road. They zoomed through the pack of riders causing a chain reaction of epic proportion crashing. You know what?

The full to capacity audience erupted in LAUGHTER!

I made a mental note of that. "O.K....so that's how it is."

#2 - You need to take a double dose of high blood pressure meds before checking this one out. Be sure to read the responses too!

http://www.atlantaillustrated.com/bl...same-rules.asp

It's the "chicken or the egg" thing. Do they hate us because some cyclists ride crazy, or do we ride crazy because they hate us?

They peg ALL of us as rule/law breakers which is NOT FAIR. Not all of us break the traffic laws.
I also don't believe the "they're doing 5 mph" BS. Granted, some people don't follow the laws but a lot of us DO. I stop at all signs/lights. A slight PITA but I do it. I even go out of my way to let the MV go before me, even though they give me the go ahead. Just for MY safety.

Just today I let a SUV go before me at a stop sign. There was a little kid in it who was obviously mentally disabled who told me "not to ride in the road". I just told him "Yes sir!, You're right, you are the boss!". Cute little kid, dad was very nice. No big deal.