Old 08-24-08, 07:33 PM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by What
1 out of 3 drivers here really wouldn't care if they killed someone. It's that bad and there is next to no bike-friendly infrastructure. The whole "Scarface Complex" thing doesn't help much, either.
This is far from the truth. From what I've read on this board we are relatively lucky here in SoFla. I rarely have problems with cars. Today I had much bigger issues with other riders including some genius who doing 35 mph coming off the Key Biscayne bridge whistled loudly instead of saying "on your left" when he came up on a slower rider which caused the other rider to almost take out his buddy and me. Another problem is the following group who doing 30 or so will pass riders on both sides. While very unfortunate you can understand some of the riduculous and outrageous comments made about bicyclists as these idiots will do equally stupid things around cars.

Back on point, this was an absolutely unnecessary tragedy. I will not ride the McArthur Causeway because of the glass on the side of the road and the fact that cars fly here. The next causeway up is a pretty nice ride and except for the bridge work - which I get by doing Key Biscayne after Miami Beach - there is no reason to be on McArthur Causeway. Of course they should be able to ride it without risk and this should never have happened.

No one mentioned that Saturday morning a runner got killed by a car crossing US 1. Absolutely no reason that should have happened although many runners do not make themselves as visible as they should.

We have a lot of work to do here.

Last edited by wannaride; 08-24-08 at 08:01 PM.