View Single Post
Old 08-24-08, 11:41 PM
jchuck

Bikes: Mountain bike for winter (Trek), Road bike for summer (Centurion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfrone1
Just out of curiosity, what seems to be the problem/dangerous nature of the product? Pictures are always appreciated, but a good explanation would suffice.

BTW, Avenir and Raleigh USA are one in the same. I am sure if you went back to your dealer, and explained the problem, the problem may be easily remedied. Just a thought....
So glad you asked this question, and provided this particular suggestion.

On separate occasions, the bungee cords that permit the hooks to attach to the rack, spontaneously snapped while riding. In one case, the bag itself lodged into the spokes of my tire and stopped me dead in my tracks. It was difficult dislodging it without bending the spokes.

The second time this happened, the bungee cord wrapped tightly into the cassette, also stopping the bike in its tracks. A bit scary.

Also, even when the bungee cords were holding the hooks in their proper place, the bags themselves would interfere with the rear wheel when, while avoiding a pot hole for example, I would make a slight turn.

I understand now (live and learn) that one should buy a pannier with a stiffer back panel. Since that's the case, the pannier should come with a warning.

Finally, regarding who to contact regarding this: I initially contacted the retail store. They replaced the bag the first time the bungee cord broke. However, they were unwilling to do so the second time. They thought that I would get a better response than would they, by contacting the manufacturer directly.

I've googled "Raleigh" but have only found a website for their bikes, not accessories.