Old 11-16-04, 10:04 AM
MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA... sorry. I have to giggle. This is a long debated issue on the Internet since the "floodgates" were opened to the mass populace around 1995/96 and the flavour of the internet went from sharing information to advertising. What you are referring to is Netiquette or just plain, ol' fashioned common sense.

It won't happen, unfortunately. And as stated above, it cannot be enforced. Well it could but it would make the environment far less open and would mean EVERY POST would have to be approved by a moderated.

I got two emails and a personal message yesterday after the incident an all three said, “Ignore this person they are just trying to push your buttons.”
That's actually sound advice. Take the high road as it were. As frustrating as it is, they are attempting to "get your goat" as it were. If you feel it was particularly offensive, however, there is a report feature that you should use. It's usually (unless this one has been hacked) sent to all moderators. If it's one of the mods, then send a PM to the Admin.

Lastly, you don't have to take what they say here. There is always a way out. If reporting isn't a solution or not your first choice, go to your Control Panel and use the Ignore User function (it's there for this exact reason). If it still bothers you (and as much as I dislike suggesting this) go to another forum and use a different alias (avoids someone deliberately tracking you down).

One thing to keep in mind is that written words are sometimes interpreted by how WE see them, not necessarily in the manner of how the writer wrote them. Scarcasm and other vocal tricks don't translate well here, with or without smilies to help. So one thing you might consider is, sending the individual in question a PM and asking them if the way you interpretted their message is in fact what they want to portray to you. And if that was the case, why?

Anyways, I'm rambling but perhaps some more food for thought?