Old 08-25-08, 02:48 PM
GearsForFears
1. get on 2. pedal

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool singlespeeder and will never go back to a geared bike for anything but long rides with lots of hills, for which I have a magnificent old 18-speed Raleigh tourer. I told my singlespeed conversion story recently in another thread so sorry to rehash, but: When I was test-riding bikes with no prior knowledge or prejudice, I rode on a Bianchi Volpe and immediately after a Bianchi San Jose, which is the same bike as the Volpe but without gears. There was no comparison - the San Jose was much easier and faster and more fun to ride. I asked the bike shop dude if I was imagining this. He said, probably not, because:

- under conditions for which the one gear is more or less correct, the singlespeed will outperform the same bike with gears because all the force is going directly from pedal to chainring to gear in a straight line; and
- the multi-geared bike is carrying 3-4 pounds of equipment the singlespeed doesn't have.

What's more:

- the singlespeed bike is easier to maintain;
- the singlespeed bike is more reliable in snow and mud and other adverse conditions;
- the singlespeed bike is quieter and smoother;
- the singlespeed bike has a cleaner, cooler look;
- the singlespeed bike is less expensive.

I was ridiculed as a faddist and poseur for getting involved with singlespeed bikes. The detractors have all tried my singlespeed Surly Cross-Check now and they've taken back their words; my significant other, who thought I was crazier than anyone, is saving up for a new one-speeder like mine. It is a very quick and nimble bike and a blast to ride. Even going up hills, you get out of the saddle and expend some extra effort, but the climb is over so fast you hardly care. The main thing you give up, as a previous commenter said, is speed down a long or steep decline. But I don't spin out that regularly. I have to be on substantial hills one after another before the singlespeed starts to seem like a burden.

I'm not trying to evangelize. I don't own stock in one-speed bicycles, and I've never tried fixed (though I will as soon as I get up a little more courage). I'm just so sold on singlespeeding and so excited about it I like turning people on. I think that in another 10 or 20 years the derailleur will be a specialty item for riding over terrain, and most everyday cyclists, such as commuters, will have bikes with one good speed that works for most of where they ride.

Last edited by GearsForFears; 08-25-08 at 02:52 PM.