Old 08-26-08, 05:47 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Since inseam determines saddle height, do you discount saddle to bar drop or account for it otherwise?

It looks more to me that he was sized by either height or torso rather than inseam. The crude traditional inseam x .65 method would have put him on a 58. Coincidentally, that's what you're recommending. As you've noted, the OP is all arms and legs. If he's matched "notch to crotch" to a manufacturer's top tube geometry as you suggest, then his extremities receive no accounting and he's on a smaller frame.

So it looks to me like this is a classic example of top tube/torso only sizing.
Most aren't familar with a Look Optimum frame. The OP is on the perfect frame for his proportions and size. An Optimum has the head tube equivalent of a 59-60 cm center to top at 190mm. The Look Optimum has a full 20mm longer head tube than my Look 555 XL. The Optimum has the top tube equivalent of a 56-57cm which works well for the OP's average torso size.
Looks are sized center to center and the Optimum is an upright geometry that melds perfectly with a rider that is more legs than torso.

As to Vireo...sorry....ridiculous assertions, the OP is not George Hincapie. Most recreational riders including some that are quite fast do not want to ride stretched out or with a Lemond suggested seat height. The only way you can deduce that is with a personal fitting and not by looking at pictures.

OP...you look fine on the bike. You can experiment with your saddle height and maybe try a slightly longer stem but you maybe at the sweet spot for your present flexibility starting out in particular. Fit is a work in progress and you are off to a good start.
Keep in mind that many top riders and even riders like myself have a 25-30 degree knee bend at the bottom of their pedal stroke. It is hard to tell from the pictures but your leg extension at the bottom looks a bit more than that.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-26-08 at 08:25 AM.