View Single Post
Old 08-26-08, 11:07 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by txvintage
I never once thought of it as an entry level bike. Might be that I can't get my brain cell wrapped around the concept of a Campy equipped "entry" level anything. Seems contradictory.
It's all relative - many folks here would call anything that wasn't full NR and 531 gaspipe junk. I would disagree with that. If you remember back in the day, there were many, many heavy 40-lb department store bikes that you might consider "entry level". Then there were the Schwinn Varsinentals, better but still 40-lb anchors. Then you got to a bike shop that sold European bikes and there still might have been one or two models below that Torpado. So in that sense it would have been several models up from the true bottom of the line. So in this case when I think "entry level" I'm thinking "entry level into quality Italian road bikes" not bottom of the line bike you could buy.

Now you could point out that the frames were an older design, but that design was the standard Italian stage racing geometry through the 60's (and we're talking early 70's here I assume) and rode quite nicely. And the frames were relatively light. With aluminum rims and crank the bikes could come in under 25-lbs vs around 21-lb for a typical high-end bike. And while Campagnolo Valentino wasn't the best, it was certainly more reliable than it's primary competitor, the Simplex Prestige.

Now as to whether you consider it a beater, I guess that depends on what you would do with a beater. I certainly wouldn't abuse it but I'd probably be inclined to leave it parked outside or ride it in the rain when necessary just like I would have back in the day. I put cross tires on my UO8 and take it off road sometimes, often on packed dirt or gravel and sometimes even on real single track. Use it like it was intended.