View Single Post
Old 08-28-08, 04:39 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I think some threads just die because people don't know or care about the topic. Sometimes Classic Rendezvous might be a better arena.

I know 10 Speed Drive formerly out of Florida influenced the design of high-end frame marques they took on as distributors, for example Woodrup. They viewed the American market as hungering for crit-ish geometries, and ordered such products from Woodrup - ended up with some odd touring bikes post 1982 or so.

Beyond that I couldn't say much about distributors. Turin and others had their own brands of entry-level French bikes, presumably built to their spec, but generally seeming similar to the Gitane and Motobecane common straight-guage steel products. Perhaps that's where I saw them, and perhaps it was later than 1971. I am only going on memory.

Warning: Potential Thread Hijack!!

That old Rossignoli was sold originally by Cicli Rossignoli and I presume made there, still an active cycle shop in Milano. Beyond that I don't know much. Never could identify the tubing; it could have been a mix. That would explain the lack of a label - Columbus was premium even in the '60s, who wouldn't toot that horn? Based on the supple ride, I assume it was not what we would now call SP or a straight guage, but along the lines of SL. It had Campy fork ends and dropouts, a forged fork crown, and nice Italian long-pointed lugs and BB shell. I wish I knew more about it. A similar frame sold with NR gruppo on Ebay for a pretty good price, but not my size. Oh yeah!!! I remember feeling a pin in the fork crown!

I really wish I knew the geometry, especially angles, rake, trail, and BB drop - all things I think affect ride. I'd like to see if a similar design is out there and get one.

It was priced about the same as a Raleigh Competition or Peugeot PX-10E, but not as light due to the older parts using more steel. Not cutting edge for the day, but a racing grade bike of (even then) yesterday.