Thread: Got my Kona Ute
View Single Post
Old 08-28-08, 02:11 PM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it hasn't, but I'm looking into ways of adding something. All I need is something that will attach to the chain stays. Actually, I think 4 handlebar stems might do it (2 each side), as the tubing is quite wide. This would allow a deck to be attached on top. The stems would work so long as they have the front plate that comes off fully (if you inderstand what I mean), allowing the stem to be bolted on. They are good in that they are simple, though it's not an ideal solution. I mean to go to a hardware store at the weekend and see if there's some other kind of device that will do the job. I'm sure I'll be able to find something.
As with so many things bike related, you need a make do and mend appraoch.
As it stands, the Ute has a load capacity of 7.5 stone, which is less than and Xtracycle and Yuba, but which is still quite a lot. The communique I got from Kona when questioning the maximum weight was "it's 7.5 stone, but some people carry more."
Make of that what you will.
I beleive the ommision of the foot decks is perposeful - being an alu frame, I think they're scared of people snapping it with too heavy a weight, though the word from Kone gives me a tacit understanding it will carry more.
I love the ride, and though I haven;t rode a Yuba or xtracycle, imagine the stiffness and lightness of the Ute is a distinct advantage. Now if only I can solve the problem in some simple way...