Old 08-29-08, 06:00 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, there's no interest in trial here! Just a statute of limitations forcing a suit where physical recovery took a while. If the medical establishment had caught all the damage initially this would have all been negotiated and settled by now, but they missed a problem that needed surgery, simply trying cortisone and PT. Which won't reattach things!!!

I did a "poll" of moderately cognizant parties on the insurance and PI side. The range all centered around a magic value plus or minus $25K. So I'm OK with what the result "should" be in general terms. But none of those people did anything but give an educated guess off the cuff. Which didn't make me feel particularly good about the matter. I anticipate that the lower end of the range would be fine. All the numbers are much larger than my initial "guess" as a PI outsider - my guess all the attorneys laughed at!! The attorneys simply indicated that given the level of medical expenses, days off work, and lingering permanent stuff, they'd typically get X in their practice location. Which wasn't particularly satisfying. Or that X was generally the insurance limit for people like the defendant. Or some other unsatisfying story! The insurance fellow I talked to said about the same thing. Fellow probably has liability of this amount and you should be able to get 50% to 100% of that limit, depending on how things work out. Very little focus on the victim!

It's kind of interesting.

Given the backup in our local Circuit Court from political BS it's unlikely to go to trial ever. Nobody will live that long! Not quite that bad, but there's been some nonsense and nothing happened for a while, so there's a backlog to clear. I'm trusting something can be reached before too much discovery, too much involvement with experts, and so on. A last minute courthouse steps thing I don't want to see, just a bit of back and forth and then an agreement.

I tend to see trials as the failure of the system.