View Single Post
Old 08-30-08, 05:03 PM
manuelg909

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinpolitico
I have so many problems with this advice I don't know where to start. First of all, life is too short to be riding a crappy bike. Riding a crappy bike that is right style for you is way more likely to steer you away from cycling than riding a quality bike that isn't quite the right match for your riding style. Plus if it really isn't the right bike for you, a quality bike will actually have some resale value.

Walmart is probably responsible for turning more people off biking than any other dealer. Please do not go there. These bikes will not be fun to ride or be representative of what cycling has to offer.

This poster has indicated he wants to spend the money to get a quality bike. Kuddos to him. He is already way ahead of 90% of the people who post here asking for first time bike purchasing advice. Let's give him recommendations for bikes we'd actually want to ride for more than 5 minutes instead of going for the cheapest option.
a friend of mine began commuting to work 2 months ago and the first day he borrowed his brothers bike he had just bought a week ago at walmart and the pedals fell off while he was crossing an intersection!! afetr work he stopped at the LBS and got himself a bike he loves now. No Walmart bikes for me!!