Old 08-30-08, 05:49 PM
uncadan8
Dwindling Roadie

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 R1000, '80's Cannondale (The Beast), Diamondback Topanga Hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better yet, HG, burn the kit! New stuff can always be bought.

I'll definitely be there next year. I just learned today of a friend who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about a year ago. She was just able to get back on the bike this January. I had been out of touch with her for that entire period, so I had no idea that she had gone through this. This is a woman who bikes everywhere - she has never had a driver's license, and doesn't ever intend to get one. She was a mentor to me when I was just starting a job at a gym and always amazed me with how she rode the bike no matter what. In fact, it was on the bike that she realized something was very wrong and that she needed to get checked out.

She has been through the chemo and is riding again, but ovarian cancer is a nasty one and has a reputation for coming back. I pray it doesn't, but it certainly gives me more motivation to get on the stick with the fundraising for next year.

I haven't counted up all the people I know who are affected directly by cancer, but I know it is a high and growing number. We need to fight hard on this one, folks.