View Single Post
Old 08-30-08, 06:33 PM
cbtumedic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First day "FIXED"

Well I finally got around to putting my el-cheapo suicide hub Fixie together and figured I'd stop just hanging out and post. It's a pawn shop murray (didn't want to spend lots of cash that I don't have on a bike style I've never ridden before, so flame away, but I only have 60 bucks in this thing) that I removed the large front chainring from and am running with a 39 chain ring and a 15 tooth dura ace cog and both brakes. It's rolling on 26"x1 3/8" tires for a gear inch of around 70 inches. I built a rear rack using an old saddle for the mount, some aluminum strap and an old acrylic skateboard deck. It was quite an experience but it will take some time before I remember that I can't freewheel. I rode it about 2 miles today and that was the most vigorous work out I've had on a bike in a long time, but I was doing lots of sprinting and there are some decent grades in the neighborhood I was riding. As soon as I get some lights it's gonna be my commuter. I rotafixed the cog and repacked the bearings in the BB, hubs, and head tube, replaced a tube and respaced/redished the rear wheel, trued both wheels (rear still needs some work but I really wanted to take it for a spin.) Overall though it was fun, just gonna start riding it a couple miles a day and slowly work my way up to longer rides. I really respect those of you that do centuries on these things though. I'll post some pics up here when i get some snapped of it.