View Single Post
Old 08-31-08, 09:56 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I've never had that problem, mainly due to my other problem....I just
dont sell my bikes. Oh, I've bought and sold many bikes that I purchased
for the thrill of "wrenching & selling" them. But I've never sold one of
my bikes, much to my wifes chagrin. Funny thing is that sometime
during each season I manage to get at least one ride in on each one of
them.

I don't recommend this though, 'cause as you can imagine we're tripping
over bikes all the time.

Your "old blue" looks beautiful. That certainly must be one happy kid.
He was indeed happy - grinning ear to ear. His dad was supportive, and went to an ATM for the additional $100 to upgrade to old blue.

She wasn't "my bike" yet but I was getting attached after commuting about 3 times on her. If I didn't have the miyata with full DA in the same configuration it'd have been hard to let her go.
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I sold a bike yesterday; it has been replaced by a vintage bike that I built up.

I've sold two bikes in the last year, both in one day using Craigslist on a Seattle. I'm pretty tall, so my bikes are big, and both times I found guys who new exactly what they wanted and bought them immediately. Somehow it feels better selling to an informed buyer than just selling to someone who just picked your bike at random...

I am kind of sad to see it ago but now have a blank spot in my garage for the next project...
I have a weird equilibrium of bikes. When I've sold them all and don't have much maintenance work I get the itch and start shopping Ebay, Craiglist etc. When I pile on too many projects I get anxious and my bike fund is drained towards zero. I've flipped many many bikes [my bike of the week 8x10 poster at work is up to #51] and am always pleased to get them good as new and back on the road. For some reason most of them fit me. I've made it a policy to commute with any bike my size - it really shakes out any issues that I need to fix before selling. I sell at market prices that help fund my own bike purchases and upkeep - but take into account that it's a hobby - not an income source.

I acquired old blue half built up with a huge stash of bike parts, wheelsets, tires, etc. I sold the cherry picked parts off to cover the cost. Old blue represents a large part of the profits and a measurable part of the cost of buying the Bionx 350w kit. That kit is my biggest splurge in terms of cash outlay.

Last edited by robtown; 08-31-08 at 10:07 AM.