Old 09-01-08, 02:50 PM
kokomo61

Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
New bike!

I (finally) picked up my new bike - the replacement for my Kona JTS that was damaged in my accident on 6/23. It's a Fuji Cross Pro with an Ultegra/Dura-Ace drivetrain. It's a couple lbs lighter than my JTS, but that doesn't really matter much once all the other stuff is on there. I kept some of the old accessories, and added some replacements, but here it is in commuting livery:

I spent a few hours getting everything adjusted - the biggest issue was the fenders and tires - I've got them so they don't rub, but I may size down to 28mm at some point. I think I was swayed by the salesperson about the virtues of the Armadillo CX tires....They seem to do fine for now. I moved the Airzound tank to the seat post, and it seems to work fine there. The handlebars seem to allow for better equipment placement, so I was able to move the Topeak White Lights up to the handlebars from the fork. The round steel fork worked well for them on the JTS, the the carbon fork is too wide for that. They fit in nicely next to the Minewt X2's. It'll make it easier to turn them on/off when all I need is a flasher to be seen.

The rack is a bit closer to the fender than the old setup, so I took the tab off of the mount. Since the PB Superflash won't fit (too tall), I'm going to a PB rack light and moving the SF to my jersey. I put a Mars 2.0 light on the bag, so I'll have 4 LED flashers on the back, 2 white LED flashers on the front, the Minewt's for nighttime illumination, and a halogen headlamp... so I'll be able to see in any weather. Shifting is pretty smooth, and the braking is firm. I turned the X-levers down a bit so that I could aim the lights properly and fit the Airzound horn onto the bar.

So...tomorrow is the first ride to work - for this bike, and my first real commute since the accident.....wish me luck!
'06 Kona Jake the Snake