Old 09-04-08, 02:09 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
The Flying Wheels 25 mile loop around Lake Sam. I love that ride.
ah yes, the flying wheels routes are nice. thx for the reminder!

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
A more urban ride would be nice, too:

You can start this loop anywhere, but one version is:

- Start in Seward Park, go up Lake Washington all the way through Madison Park, across the bridge to Burke Gilman trail
- Burke Gilman west through Fremont and Ballard to the Locks. Walk your bike across the locks.
- Up to Discovery Park, do the loop on Magnolia Blvd. around Magnolia
- Down Thorn**** Ave in Magnolioa to catch bike path and head back to downtown to Myrtle Edwards Park
- Visit Olympic Sculpture Garden
- Through downtown along the waterfront, through Pioneer Square, through International District, up the bike path to top of Mt. Baker tunnel, down the hill back to Lake Washington Blvd.

If this is not clear, let me know and I'll map it out on veloroutes.org for you.

I've always thought this would be a cool route for a visiting cycling enthusiast 'cause you can catch a number of interesting bike shops on the way:

- Il Vecchio and that triathlon shop in Leschi
- Recycled Cycles on Boat st.
- Quick detour up to R&E cycles to look at custom Rodriguez
- Back to Burk Gilman, go to Fremont, see FreeRange Cycles
- While in Ballard see that new folding bike/electric bike shop (Folding Bikes West?)
- When back in downtown Seattle visit Elliott Bay Cycles.

Anyone who likes classic bikes would get a kick out of Il Vecchio and Elliott Bay.
i like the bike-shop-tour route! sounds kind of similar to the "five summits of seattle" ride that a friend and i do. i definitely need more urban routes to balance out the riding i usually do (open country roads on the east side)

Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
I personally like the Interurban Trail going north. There is some art along the way, that's fun to look at while riding--some of the art could turn into "animation" if you ride by fast enough. Some day I'll take the time to ride to Everett and back.

Problem is, it's a trail, then, not a trail and jags over to a trail again, etc. And, I don't know the street names well enough to map it out on veloroutes.org. Maybe there's a linky for it somewhere (I'll look and edit this post if I find it.)
yes, the trail systems would be good. interurban to the north, and south. i've gotten to know the northern route pretty well, but yeah the off-trail parts are tricky. i don't even know the street names, i just know how to nav it from sight.

thx all for the replies! i can't promise that all of these routes will make it in the 'final cut,' but i definitely wanted to get an outside perspective.

my race videos