martytardy
Bike Freak

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hands falling asleep?

When I have problems with my hands falling asleep, or going numb, after a period of time, for me it can be just a need to have several hand positions to alternate. If you're on a flat bar bike, either mountain bike or a flat bar road bike, you may consider adding bar ends. I had some great CODA branded bar ends on my mountain bike that I rode for years and rode thousands of miles with them and rarely had problems. Numbness can be caused from numerous factors. Check your seat angle to make sure it's level or nearly so. A local bike shop should be able to help you in checking over the bike as well. It may be that you're too stretched out or too cramped. (Sorry I don't remember all the details in your post, hence the inclusion of too cramped.) They can have you put the bike on a trainer in the store and check your positioning. If length is an issue, a different neck can help. If size of the bike is an issue, you may need a larger frame. A good bike store is a great resource though to make sure. I find gloves particularly important though as well. Hope this helps.