Old 11-19-04, 08:21 PM
Laika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The memorial ride was OK. I'm not good at guessing numbers...more than 30 and less than 150 were there? call it 75? I really don't know. There was a sort of vigil for about a half hour at the accident site. The police had set up a pen made of metal barricades, everybody stood around in there, then afterwards there was a ride across 49th to Broadway, down Broadway to 14th, across 14th to Avenue A and down A to E7th, where everyone got off their bike and went to Phoebe's, I think. I wasn't thirsty and so I went home. People seemed in OK spirits, I guess. No one was really angry or more antisocial than usual and there seemed to be decent cooperation with the NYPD.

Well, that happened, anyway. It's an unpleasant, dangerous avenue to ride on. You're all right that probably everyone involved could have done a better job taking care of each other and themselves, but only the guy on two wheels is dead, so maybe lay off of him, huh? I'm sure he'd rather be alive than an object lesson in cycling safety or whatever. I don't know. I guess you're right. He should have just stopped and had his muffin or whatever. I wish it hadn't happened.