View Single Post
Old 09-07-08, 06:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Double your Bday Ride

It's becoming a tradition for me to do a "double your Birthday ride". It seems to be getting more challenging but it's really just adding 2 miles per year. Although since age 50 it's now 12 more miles since I'm now approaching 56!!

I'm really, really irked with myself for putting on a few pounds and just can't reduce the calories enough to get the unwanted weight off. It doesn't make any difference on the flats or on short climbs but it feels like a tremendous drag on the longer climbs. Part of my purpose for today's ride was to burn more calories....

Anyway, I did a fairly flat (6000+ ft of climbing) 112 miles. It took a little longer than I'd hoped but it did get pretty warm the last 20 miles so I backed off spun some easier gears.

I had thought about doing a double metric but it was getting so warm the cool glass of water back at the house had my name all over it.

Here's the elevation profile. The destination was a state park 55 miles from my house that has a 4 mile climb so that is the peak towards the middle.

Even with the additional weight I managed to set a new Personal Best in our 10 mile Time Trials at the last event. I have been playing more golf and not been riding as much and somehow managed to shave almost 30 seconds off my previous best and averaged over 26 mph. I haven't figured out how that happened.......

Any other September Bdays our there?